- 2 cups buttermilk
- 5 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast, dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
- Heat buttermilk until lukewarm.
- Sift together dry ingredients and cream with shortening.
- Add buttermilk and yeast mixture.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead well.
- Roll dough to 1/4 inch, and cut into small biscuits using a jigger or cutter about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Stack 2 together to form each biscuit and place side by side in greased pans.
- Biscuits may be frozen at this point if desired.
- Let dough rise 2-3 hours.
- If the dough has been frozen allow more time to rise.
- Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes.