- 3 medium granny smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 12 cup canola oil or 12 cup vegetable oil
- 2 14 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 14 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 14 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 12 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten (at room temperature)
- In a bowl, toss diced apples with sugar; pour the oil over the top; stir well; set aside at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Position rack in the center of oven; preheat oven to 400.
- Spray muffin pin indentations/rims with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the milk and eggs into the apple mixture until smooth; stir in the flour mixture until moistened.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 full; bake 25 minutes or until the muffins have rounded, slightly cracked tops; pick inserted into the center should come out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Set pan on a wire rack; cool for 10 minutes; gently rock the muffins back and forth to release them; cool muffins on rack 5 minutes; serve.
- *Apple Cheddar Muffins: sprinkle each muffin with 1 tablespoon shredded Cheddar cheese before baking.
- *Apple Cherry Muffins: stir 3/4 cup dried cherries into the diced apples before adding the sugar and oil; proceed as directed.
- *Apple Cranberry Muffins: stir 3/4 cup chopped fresh cranberries into the diced apples before adding the sugar and the oil; proceed as directed.
- *Apple Pecan Muffins: add 3/4 cup chopped pecans with the flour; proceed as directed.
- *Apple Raisin Muffins: add 3/4 cup dark raisins into the diced apples before adding the sugar and the oil; proceed as directed.