Apple Pie with Almond Frangipane
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- 8 oz slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 stick unsalted butter
- 5 sliced apples
- Mix flour and salt.
- Add butter and cold water to the dough mixture until dough clumps are pea-sized.
- Place the dough in a refrigerator to chill.
- Prepare sliced apples.
- Add citrus to keep the apples from oxidizing.
- Turn the pastry dough until it forms a ball then roll it out onto a tart or pie pan.
- Return to chill in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- Mix almonds, sugar, orange zest, leftover 1/4 stick of butter, and vanilla extract then blend with eggs.
- Pour the frangipane filling onto the pastry crust.
- Wedge the Apple slices into the filling.
- Placed over a metal tray, bake the pie for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until the pastry dough puffs and the apples turn golden brown.
- Allow the pie to cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- * Before step 7, bake the crust for 15 minutes prior to adding fillings for a crisper crust.