Arroz Con Pollo, Cubano Recipe
- 1 x frying chicken, cut in serving pcs
- 1 x onion, minced
- 2 clv garlic, chopped
- 1 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounce canned tomatoes
- 6 c. water
- 1 x bay leaf
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 1 lb raw rice
- 1 pch saffron
- 1 x green pepper, cut in strips
- 2 x pimientos, cut in strips
- 1/2 pkt frzn peas, cooked to almost tender
- Somehow, the English translation "Cuban chicken with rice" just doesn't do this exotic dish justice.
- Serve with salad, garlic bread, and wine, and you'll have a feast.
- Note which saffron is often less expensive if you purchase it at an oriental or possibly other ethnic specialty market.
- You can make this dish a day ahead and reheat it.
- Serves 4.
- (If you double or possibly triple the recipe, reduce the amount of water.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fry chicken with onion and garlic in oil till brown.
- Add in tomatoes and water; bring to a boil and cook 5 min.
- Add in bay leaf, salt, rice, saffron, and green pepper.
- Place in 8" x 10" casserole; bake 20 to 30 min, stirring at least twice.
- When water has been absorbed and chicken is fork tender, garnish with peas and pimientos.