Arroz con Leche
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 whole cloves
- 4 cups water
- 1 egg
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 (12-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional
- Soak the rice, cinnamon sticks, lemon zest and whole cloves in the water in a heavy saucepan for 1 hour.
- After soaking, bring the rice mixture to a boil on high heat, uncovered.
- When it starts to boil (about 5 minutes), lower the heat to medium and cook for 10 to 12 more minutes or until water is almost evaporated.
- While rice is cooking, beat the egg in a bowl.
- Add the milk and stir well to mix.
- Add the egg mixture, vanilla extract and condensed milk to the rice and cook over medium-low heat, stirring carefully, until it thickens slightly or until desired consistency, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- Let cool uncovered.
- Note: be aware that as the rice cools it thickens.
- The finished product will be thinner than traditional rice pudding.