All Day and All Night Corn Bread
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, well beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Melt the butter in an 8-inch square pan.
- Sift together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Stir in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the milk and the egg, mixing only enough to dampen the cornmeal mixture.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Pour the remaining 1/2 cup milk over the batter and stir.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.