Almost-Famous Barbecue Chicken Pizza
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 pound prepared pizza dough, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark barbecue sauce
- 1 8 -ounce skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup grated smoked gouda cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 2/3 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro, for topping
- Brush a large bowl with olive oil.
- Shape the pizza dough into a ball, add it to the bowl and turn to coat with the oil.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Position racks in the upper third and middle of the oven.
- Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the top rack and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lay out a sheet of parchment paper and brush with olive oil.
- Transfer the ball of dough to the parchment and roll it out into a 10-inch round, stretching it with your hands as needed.
- Lightly brush the dough with olive oil, cover with another piece of parchment and set aside to let rise slightly, about 30 minutes.
- While the dough rises, mix 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce and 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small bowl.
- Put the chicken in a baking dish, season with salt and pepper and brush with the barbecue sauce mixture.
- Bake on the middle oven rack until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Uncover the dough and spread with the remaining 1/3 cup barbecue sauce, leaving a 3/4-inch border.
- Top with the chicken, gouda, mozzarella and red onion.
- Slide the pizza (on the parchment) onto a pizza peel or another inverted baking sheet, then slide onto the hot stone or baking sheet; bake until the cheese melts and the crust is golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Photograph by Kang Kim