A Big Bowl Of Red Recipe
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 lrg yellow onion, diced
- 1 x green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 x red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 c. sliced celery
- 2 x cloves garlic, chopped
- 28 ounce canned crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounce canned red kidney beans
- 15 ounce canned stewed tomatoes, diced
- 3 tsp chili pwdr, up to 4
- 1 Tbsp. dry oregano
- 2 1/2 tsp grnd cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bottled warm sauce, up to 2
- 1/2 tsp grnd black pepper
- MAKES 4 TO 6 SERVINGS.
- This chili exhibits the quintessential qualities of traditional chili without the meat.
- It is thick, highly seasoned and very satisfying.
- Heat oil in large saucepan.
- Add in onion, bell peppers, celery and garlic.
- Saute/fry till vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 min.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, beans, stewed tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 min.
- Remove from heat; let stand 8 to 10 min before serving.
- Ladle chili into bowls.
- Serve with toppings such as shredded low-fat cheddar or possibly Monterey Jack cheese, minced scallions, minced red onion or possibly fresh tomato salsa, and hot cornbread or possibly whole wheat bread if you like.
- Makes 4 to 6servings.