Anise/Licorice Cupcakes With Fluffy White Frosting
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 14 teaspoon salt
- 12 cup unsalted butter, Room temperature
- 1 12 cups sugar (Try Flavored Sugar or Splenda using the anise)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup
- licorice (or Good and Plenty, soft, chewy drops, nonpareil jellies and soft panned licorice balls)
- 2 egg whites, 1/3 cup
- 1 12 cups sugar
- 12 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 18 teaspoon salt
- 13 cup water
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 teaspoon anise extract
- Cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and sift on to wax paper, set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in a mixing bowl till smooth and well blended.
- Stir in extract and milk add to butter mixture alternating with the flour mixture.
- In a clean blow beat egg whites till stiff but still moist.
- Fold in gently 1/3 of the white into the batter, continue to fold in the remainder of the whites.
- Pour into cupcake tins lined with paper cupcake holders.
- Pour 3/4 of the way.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare Fluffy White Frosting: Combine all ingredients except vanilla and anise in the top of a double boiler over boiling water.
- Beat with electric mixer for about 7 minutes, or until mixture will stand in stiff peaks.
- Beat in vanilla and anise extract.
- Cool completely then frost with a white frosting and top with your choice of licorice candy.