Apricot Meringue Kuchen Recipe
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter softened, and cut into 1" pcs
- 3/4 c. sugar divided
- 1 dsh salt
- 2 x Large eggs separated Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 c. unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking pwdr
- 1/4 c. apricot jam
- 1 1/2 lb fresh apricots (you can substitute or possibly combine the apricots with peaches, blueberries or possibly Italian prunes)
- Place the butter, 1/2 c. of the sugar, the salt, egg yolks, lemon zest and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor.
- Blend till smooth.
- Place the flour and baking pwdr in a small bowl and mix with your fingers.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the other mix, pulsing each time, just till the ingredients are incorporated.
- Chill the dough till hard, about an hour.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan or possibly pie pan with a removable bottom.
- Turn the dough, flouring your fingers if necessary, into the pan and press it into the bottom and sides.
- Flute the sides.
- Smear the top with the apricot jam.
- Cut the apricots in half and remove the pits.
- Press the apricots skin-side down into the dough.
- Place the pan on a baking sheet and bake till the kuchen is golden brown, 40 min.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites on high speed till frothy, then add in the remaining 1/4 c. sugar and beat till the whites form stiff peaks, 3 to 4 min.
- Remove the kuchen from the oven and spoon the egg white mix proportionately over the apricots, spreading with the back of the spoon.
- Lower the oven to 325 degrees and bake till the top of the cake is golden brown, another 15 to 20 min.
- This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.
- NOTES :