Another Sauerkraut Recipe
- canning salt
- Shred cabbage.
- Pack shredded cabbage in clean quart glass canning jars and pack down with a clean wooden spoon.
- Add 1 teaspoon of canning salt and 1 teaspoon sugar to each quart jar.
- Add boiling water to just cover cabbage.
- Jars should be only partially sealed for first 3 or 4 weeks.
- Set in a cool dark place.
- Some juice flows out during fermentation and it will smell terrible as it ferments.
- Refill jars after 2 weeks with brine made by adding 1 tablespoon canning salt to 1 pint water.
- Seal tight and let fermentation continue.
- Best kraut results when jars are kept at around 70 degrees F.
- Takes about 4 to 6 weeks for kraut to cure perfectly.
- Process in boiling water bath 15 minutes.
- Start counting processing time as soon as jars are placed in actively boiling water.
- I haven't tried this recipe, but my mom gave it to me, so I figure it should be good.