Apple Cider Indian Pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 cups unpasteurized apple cider
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/2 cup raisins
- vanilla ice cream as an accompaniment
- In the top of a double boiler set over simmering water scald 1/2 cup of the milk.
- In a bowl whisk together the cornmeal and the cider, stir the mixture into the scalded milk, and cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes, or until it is thickened.
- (The mixture may appear slightly curdled.)
- Remove the pan from the heat, whisk in the egg, the brown sugar, the cinnamon, the salt, the butter, and the raisins, and pour the mixture into a buttered 13-by 9-inch baking pan.
- Whisk in the remaining 1/2 cup milk and bake the pudding in the middle of a preheated 325F.
- oven for 1 hour.
- Serve the pudding warm with the ice cream.