Applebee's Baked French Onion Soup
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 medium white onion sliced
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper ground
- 5 plain hamburger buns
- 10 slices provolone cheese
- 10 teaspoons parmesan, parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Don't even try to find this one on the menu at Applebee's, because it isn't there; though it's the most popular soup served each day at this huge restaurant chain.
- Just be sure you have some oven-safe soup bowls for this one, since we'll have to broil it a bit before serving.
- Add 3 tablespoons oil to a large soup pot or saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Add the sliced onions and saute for 20 minutes until the onions begin to soften and start to become translucent.
- You don't want them to brown.
- Add the beef broth, water, salt, garlic powder and black pepper to the pan and bring mixture to a boil.
- When soup begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- To make the croutons cut off the top half of each top of the hamburger bun so that the bread is the same thickness as the bottom half of each bun.
- Throw the tops away.
- Now you should have 10 round pieces of bread -- 5 bottom buns, and 5 top buns with the tops cut off.
- Preheat oven to 325F (160C).
- Place the bread in the the oven directly on the rack and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until each piece is golden brown and crispy.
- Set these croutons aside until you need them.
- When the soup is done, spoon about 1 cup into an oven-safe bowl.
- Float a crouton on top of the soup, then place a slice of provolone cheese on top of the crouton.
- Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon of shredded parmesan cheese over the provolone.
- Place the bowl into your oven set to high broil.
- Broil the soup for 5 to 6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown (you may need to broil longer if you are making more than one bowl at a time).
- Sprinkle an additional 1/2 teaspoon of shredded parmesan cheese over the top of the soup and serve.
- Repeat process to prepare remaining servings.