Artichoke Relish Recipe
- 2 lb artichokes
- 1 c. salt
- 1 gal water
- 6 x red or possibly green sweet peppers - (to 8)
- 6 lrg onions - (to 8)
- 1 lb sugar
- 1 quart vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. mustard seed
- 1 Tbsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Select fresh, tender artichokes.
- Wash well and trim, if necessary.
- Dissolve 1 c. salt in water in a large pan.
- Add in artichokes and let stand overnight.
- Drain well.
- Organize ingredients, equipment, and work area.
- Remove stems and seeds from peppers and peel onions.
- Grind peppers, onions, and artichokes, using coarse blade.
- Set aside.
- In a large preserving kettle, combine vinegar, sugar, and spices and heat to boiling.
- Add in grnd vegetables and heat to boiling.
- Ladle boiling mix into warm jars to within 1/4-inch of the tops.
- Run a slim, non metal tool down along the insides of jars to release any air bubbles.
- Add in additional relish, if necessary, to fill to within 1/4-inch of the tops of the jars.
- Wipe tops and thread of jars with damp clean cloth.
- Put on lids and screw bands as manufacturer directs.
- Process in boiling water bath 10 min.
- This recipe yields 10 half-pint jars.
- Yield: 10 half-pints