Amelia's Summertime Tomato Basil Dinner
- 1 1-lb box of Radiatore (ruffles) pasta
- 6 cups (1425 ml) chopped ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups (475 ml) chopped fresh basil
- 3 medium garlic cloves
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg). aged provolone cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- Chop the tomatoes into 1/2 inch sized pieces.
- Chop the basil coarsely.
- Dice the garlic into very fine pieces.
- Combine tomatoes (with all juices), basil, garlic, and olive oil in large bowl.
- The flavor is best if this can be done several hours ahead of serving, but it's OK if time does not allow.
- Keep this mixture at room temperature.
- Grate the provolone (fine or coarse); set aside.
- Boil pasta according to package directions; drain well.
- Add hot pasta to tomato-basil-garlic-oil mixture.
- Add grated cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- Extra grated cheese may be used at the table.