A Hotel Recipe for Creme Caramel (From 1 Egg)
- 3 Eggs
- 90 grams Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Vanilla extract
- 450 ml Milk
- 40 grams Sugar
- 2 tsp Water
- 1 or 2 tablespoons Water (additional)
- Caramel: Put the sugar and water in a small pot and heat it on the stove.
- It will turn brown after a few minutes.
- When it turns a nice caramel brown, turn off the heat and then slowly add the additional water while gently shaking the pot.
- It will splatter so be careful not to get burned.
- Pour the caramel into the molds.
- It's okay if they're not perfectly level.
- Let the caramel cool down while you're making the creme mixture by chilling it in the refrigerator or freezer, or just leaving it out on the counter to cool.
- Creme mixture: Add the egg, sugar, and vanilla extract to a bowl and mix them together thoroughly with a whisk.
- Heat the milk in a pot.
- Heat until bubbles start popping on the surface (around 60 to 80C) but you don't have to bring it to a boil.
- Stir in the warm milk to the bowl from Step 4 a little at a time.
- Strain this combined creme mixture with a strainer.
- Add the strained creme to the molds with caramel in them.
- Using an oven: Put the molds in a heat-resistant bowl or baking sheet and fill with water up to 1/3 or 1/2 of the height of the molds.
- Bake in the oven at 140 to 150C for 30 minutes.
- Using a steamer: Cover with plastic wrap so that condensation from the lid doesn't fall into your molds.
- Steam for 30 minutes in a steamer.
- If it gets too hot inside the steamer, the custard will become spongy so after about five minutes crack the lid open.
- If your creme caramel is not firming up, cover with a lid again and adjust the steaming time as necessary.
- Please adjust the cooking time as needed depending on how it is steaming.
- After it's done, let it cool, chill in the refrigerator and your hotel custard pudding is complete.