- 2 1/8 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup chilled vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons ice water
- 8 cups apples, peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, cold
- Place flour and salt in bowl.
- Cut in shortening until it resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle ice water over surface (1 tablespoon at a time).
- Mix lightly until it holds together.
- Do not over-mix.
- Cut in half, wrap in plastic and keep in refrigerator until ready to roll.
- Put apples in large bowl and pour lemon juice over them.
- In another bowl add dry ingredients and then add to the apples.
- Assembly: Roll out 1 of the dough halves to an 1/8-inch thickness.
- Lay into pie pan with a little bit overlapping the sides.
- Put apple mixture into pie shell, mounding it higher in the center.
- Cut cold butter into 1/2-inch cubes and place on top of the apples.
- Moisten outer edge of bottom crust, place top crust on pie and press down.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. When ready to put pie in oven turn temperature down to 450 degrees F and bake on lower rack until it starts to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 375 degrees and bake approximately 1 to 1 1/4 hours