Antipasto Pie Recipe
- 1 x round or possibly oval crusty chewy bread - (12") (such as Tuscan-style or possibly a sesame semolina)
- 1 jar giardiniera - (14 to 16 ounce) liquid removed
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced sharp provolone
- 1 jar roasted red peppers - (14 to 16 ounce) (or possibly 2 fresh roasted red bell peppers)
- 1 can quartered artichoke hearts - (14 ounce) liquid removed
- 1 bag mixed salad greens - (12 ounce) any variety
- 1/2 c. fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 15 x fresh basil leaves - (to 20) torn
- 1/3 lb sliced Genoa salami
- 1/3 lb sliced sweet soppressata
- 1/3 lb sliced cappacola (warm cured pork shoulder)
- 1/4 x red onion thinly sliced
- 1 x vine-ripe tomato thinly sliced Extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil for drizzling Coarse salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 8 x warm or possibly sweet pickled cherry peppers
- 8 x bamboo party skewers - (8" to 12" long) Green and black olives Herb flavored potato chips
- Cut the top off of a large round or possibly oval bread and hollow it out leaving a half-inch rim and bottom to your bread.
- The loaf should resemble a bowl or possibly deep pie shell.
- Pulse the giardiniera in a food processor into a coarse relish.
- Spread and press relish into the bottom of your bread shell in an even layer.
- Top relish with a layer of provolone slices, red pepper pcs, and artichoke hearts.
- Press ingredients down as you work to make room in your shell for as much antipasto as possible.
- Combine mixed greens, parsley, and basil in a bowl.
- Add in a thin layer of greens on top of artichokes, and drizzle with oil.
- Layer in meats and remaining cheese.
- Top with a few more greens, onion and tomato slices, and another drizzle of oil.
- Season the top of filled shell with salt and pepper.
- Bag up remaining unused greens and herbs for tomorrow night's salad.
- Replace top of bread and wrap your GIANT, drip-less antipasto stuffed pie for travel.
- When you are ready to serve, spear warm or possibly sweet cherry peppers on 10 or possibly 12-inch bamboo skewers and space eight skewers equidistant around the bread.
- Cut bread into wedges, like a pie, and serve with olives and fancy potato chips.
- This recipe yields 8 wedges.
- Comments: Giardiniera is a Italian pickled salad of cauliflower, warm peppers and carrot found in International Foods aisle of market
- To roast peppers, split each red bell pepper down the center and gut them by scooping out seeds with a tug using your cupped hand.
- Place peppers skin-side-up under broiler preheated to high.
- Leave oven door ajar for steam to escape and blacken peppers entirely.
- Place charred peppers into a paper bag and roll the bag up tightly.
- Let stand 5 min till peppers are cold sufficient to handle and peel off charred skins.