Alcatraz Porter Recipe
- 4 1/2 lb Barley (pale malt)
- 4 ounce Wheat malt
- 8 ounce Munich malt
- 9 ounce Crystal/Chocolate mix
- 4 ounce Black Patent
- 1/4 c. Molasses
- 1 5/8 ounce Cascade Hops (5.8AAU) (Bittering)
- 1/2 ounce Mt. Hood Hops (3.8AAU) (Bittering)
- 3/8 ounce Cascade (finish) Wyeast English Ale
- Add in all grains, crushed, to 6qts water at 55C.
- Wait 30 minutes.
- Raise temp to 62C (Added 2qts boiling water) Wait 75 minutes.
- Raise temp to 75C.
- Wait 5 minutes.
- Sparge with 75C water.
- Bring to boil, add in molasses, Cascade, and Mt.
- Hood hops.
- Boil one hour.
- Add in finishing hops.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Cold down in sink.
- Add in yeast from starter.
- I recently tasted my all-grain porter against Anchor's and the big thing I notice was Anchor Porter is thick, creamy.
- Mine is low carbonated, but it does not have which creamy feel.
- This was my first all-grain brew and my first porter.
- It has a good malt flavor.
- Next time I would cut back on the hops some.
- Original Gravity: 1.054 FinalGravity: 1.010 Primary Ferment: 10 days