Almond, Peanut Butter and Dried Fruits Granola Bars
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats or quick-cooking
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed or wheat germ, wheat bran
- 1/4 cup almonds finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cranberries, dried finely chopped
- 1/4 cup apricots, dried finely chopped
- 1/4 cup prunes finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter creamy and natural
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Spray a 7 by 9-inch or 8 by 8-inch baking pan with non-stick spray or lined with foil.
- Combine oats, ground flax seeds, almonds, dried fruits and chocolate chips in a large bowl, and mix well.
- Add peanut butter and honey in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, and stir in almond and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add peanut butter mixture to oat mixture.
- Mix with a wooden spoon until everything is well combined and moistened.
- Press mixture into prepared baking pan firmly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until edges start to become brown, and the top firms up a bit.
- Remove from oven, let cool in pan on wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan, let cool on wire rack completely.
- Cut into 16 bars with a sharp knife.
- They can be stored at an air-tight container in the frige for up to at least 1 week.