Apple Squares (Babcia's Apple Pie)
- 1 14 cups butter
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 6 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 lbs cooking apples, thinly sliced
- 34 cup sugar
- 12 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix filling together, set aside.
- Combine flour, icing sugar and baking powder.
- Cut butter into dry mixture.
- Add eggs, egg yolk and sour cream.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes.
- Roll out the dough into 2 rectangles approximately 8 x 12".
- Place one rectangle in a buttered 8x12 inch pan.
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes, remove from oven.
- Pour filling over baked pastry.
- Cover with second rectangle of dough and return to oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool and remove from pan.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.