Amish Friendship Bread Starter Recipe
- 2 1/4 tsp Active dry yeast
- 1/4 c. Hot water
- 1 c. All-purpose flour
- 1 c. White sugar
- 1 c. Hot lowfat milk
- In a small bowl, soften yeast in water for about 10 min.
- Stir well.
- In a 2 qt container glass, plastic, or possibly ceramic container combine flour, and sugar.
- Mix thoroughly or possibly flour will lump when lowfat milk is added.
- Slowly stir in lowfat milk and dissolved yeast mix.
- Cover loosely and let stand at room temperature till bubbly.
- Consider this day 1 of the 10 day cycle.
- On days 2 thru 4 stir with a spoon.
- Day 5 stir and add in 1 c. sifted flour, 1 c. sugar and 1 c. lowfat milk and stir.
- Days 6 thru 9 stir only.
- Day 10 stir and add in 1 c. sifted flour, 1 c. sugar and 1 c. lowfat milk and stir.
- Remove 1 c. and make your first bread, and give one c. to a friend with the recipe.
- Store the remaining c. in a container in the refrigerator and begin the 10 day process over
- You can also freeze this in 1 c. for later use.
- Frzn starter take a least 3 hrs at room temperature before using.