- 2 jonagold apples or 2 golden delicious apples, peeled, halved, and cored
- 2 cups apple juice (can use half of each) or 2 cups water (can use half of each)
- 12 cup orange marmalade
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons toasted almonds, chopped
- In a small saucepan, poach apples in apple juice (or half water) 8 to 10 minutes or until barely tender; drain.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons marmalade into center of each half.
- Heat oven to 350F In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Gradually beat in sugar, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in almonds.
- Cover tops of apple halves to edges with egg-white mixture; place on baking sheet.
- Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until tops are lightly browned.