1993 3rd Place: Empires Recipe
- 1 c. Unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 c. Granulated sugar
- 2 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. Seedless raspberry jam or possibly
- Currant jelly
- 1 c. Confectioners' sugar
- Lowfat milk (1-2 Tbsp.)
- Colored sugar for decorating
- Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl of electric mixer till light and fluffy.
- Slowly add in flour and blend well.
- Remove from bowl and knead till shiny.
- Divide dough in half; wrap in wax paper.
- Chill dough till it is hard sufficient to roll, several hrs or possibly longer.
- Let dough soften slightly on counter if too hard to roll.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Roll dough between two sheets of floured wax paper or possibly flatten dough with floured hands to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface.
- Use cookie cutters to make shapes.
- Transfer to ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake only till slightly golden brown, 5 to 7 min.
- Let cold on cookie sheets just long sufficient to hard cookies and then remove to wire racks to cold completely.
- To assemble, spread half of the cookies with a small amount of jam and sandwich with another cookie.
- Put confectioners' sugar into a small bowl and drizzle in just sufficient lowfat milk to make a thin glaze.
- Frost cookies lightly with the glaze and sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Let stand till glaze hardens.
- This delicate cookie by Keith and Teresa Duncan of Batavia tied for third place.