Alden's Grandmother's Cornbread-Kicked Up
- 1/4 cup bacon grease, vegetable oil or shortening
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno
- Roasted garlic, recipe follows
- 3 heads garlic
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Place the bacon grease in a 10-inch black cast-iron skillet and swirl to coat the sides and bottom evenly.
- Place skillet in the oven to heat.
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- In another small bowl combine the buttermilk, egg, melted butter, jalapenos, and mashed roasted garlic.
- Add to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Remove the hot skillet from the oven and carefully swirl to evenly distribute the hot grease.
- Quickly pour the cornmeal batter into the skillet and bake until firm and golden brown on top, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cutting board.
- Cut into wedges and serve hot, with butter on the side.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil.
- Cut the top quarter from the heads of garlic and place, cut side up, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Drizzle each with oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Turn the garlic cut sides down, and roast until the cloves are soft and golden brown, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Squeeze each head of garlic, gently pressing with your fingers to expel the cloves into a bowl.
- Mash with a fork and blend thoroughly.