'No potato' fishcakes recipe
- 200 g (7.1oz) salmon fillet, skinned and checked for bones
- 200 g (7.1oz) smoked haddock, undyed if possible and skinned
- 2 small shallots, chopped very fine
- 1 handful of dill or parsley, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 dash olive oil for sauteeing
- Cut both fish fillets into chunks and put them in a food processor.
- Pulse to a coarse mince--too much and it will be a slurry.
- In a bowl, mix the fish with the dill or parsley, shallot, salt and pepper and check the seasoning.
- Fold the egg into the mix.
- Form into little patties or "cakes".
- Chill them for an hour if possible--it helps them keep their shape.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
- When it's hot (important), slip a few of the "cakes" into the pan and gently press them down a little.
- Saute them on each side to a light brown finish--2/3 minutes a side.
- They should still be moist inside.
- Repeat the process until all the mix is transformed into these little wonders.