Angel-Hair Pasta with Sauteed Oysters and Chorizo
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces dried, hot chorizo sausage, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 dozen shucked fresh oysters, plus 2/3 cup strained oyster liquor
- 8 ounces angel-hair pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add chorizo.
- Cook, stirring, until crisp, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, and let drain.
- Wipe out pan.
- Melt butter in the pan over medium heat.
- Add flour, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes (do not brown).
- Add sherry, and cook, whisking, 1 minute.
- Whisk in cream and oyster liquor.
- Bring to a simmer, and whisk until thick, about 3 minutes.
- Add salt to boiling water; add pasta, and cook until al dente.
- Add oysters to sauce; gently poach until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add pasta; toss.
- Divide among plates.
- Top with chorizo; sprinkle with orange zest.