Apple and Dried-Fruit Spice Pie
- 4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored & cut into chunks (about 6 large apples)
- 23 cup dried cherries
- 23 cup dried cranberries
- 23 cup golden raisin
- 23 cup dark raisin
- 23 cup dried currant
- 12 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 teaspoon ground cloves
- 12 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 teaspoon allspice
- 12 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 orange, zest of, minced
- 1 lemon, zest of, minced
- 23 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 14 cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 12 cup dark rum (optional)
- 10 inches double crust pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with an oven rack in lowest position.
- Working in 2 batches, & using a food processor, pulse apples into pea-size pieces, then transfer the apples to a large mixing bowl.
- Put cherries, cranberries & raisins in food processor & whirl just until fruit starts to break up, then add this fruit mixture to the apples.
- Stir in currants, spices, salt, zests, sugars, cornstarch (& rum, if using it).
- Pour this mixture into a 9.5-inch deep dish pie pan with a bottom crust in it.
- Prepare a lattice top with 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch wide dough strips & complete a lattice top using them.
- Trip excess dough flush with edge of the pie pan, then use floured fingers to press edge of pie & seal strips to bottom edge.
- Bake about 1 1/2 hours, or until golden brown & bubbling, & if necessary, put a a drip pan under the pie for the last 30 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature before serving.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.