"i Yam What I Yam" Muffins
- 34 cup all-purpose flour
- 34 cup buckwheat flour
- 14 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 12 teaspoons baking powder
- 34 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 14 teaspoon ground cloves
- 14 cup sorghum
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cooked yam, cooled and mashed
- 23 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 14 cup orange juice
- 14 cup canola oil
- 12 cup raisins
- 14 cup boiling water
- 2 -3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour the 1/4 cup boiling water over them.
- Cover and set aside while preparing batter.
- Combine the flours, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt.
- Lightly beat eggs with sorghum, oil, mashed yams and orange juice.
- Add the egg mixture and buttermilk alternately to the dry ingredients, stir until well blended.
- Drain the raisins and add to batter along with orange peel.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, sprinkle 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of granulated sugar over each muffin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.