Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- 2 c. nonfat cottage cheese
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese [i used a combo of fontina & parm]
- 1/2 c. evaporated skimmed lowfat milk
- 1/2 tsp chicken flavored granules
- 2 Tbsp. butter-flavored granules
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp grnd black pepper
- 1 dsh grnd red pepper
- 1 Tbsp. flour [i used about 1/2 Tablespoons flour & 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch] [optional: a few dribbles for flavor] [ maybe 1.5 t of extra virgin olive oil] [optional: i like "sauteing" onions and mushrooms in the pan before adding the Alfredo]
- (Yield: 2 3/4 c.)
- The only modification I have made is the addition of 1 Tbsp.
- of flour to the whole thing before blending.
- Also, make sure you only heat it sufficient to get it good and hot before serving.
- Otherwise, it wants to liquefy (that is why I added the flour).
- Combine all ingredients in container of an electric blender; process till smooth.
- Pour into a small saucepan; cook sauce over low heat, stirring constantly, till thoroughly heated.
- NOTES : I was so surprised to see which Reggie posted one of my favorite recipes from 1994!!
- Sure brings back memories for me.
- Back in November of 1994 I was 11 months into my very low fat lifestyle change that led to a weight loss of 140 lbs.
- Thanks to the fat free list which I started out with and then THIS list serve, I learned how to cook all over again and how to modify a lot of my own recipes.
- Anyhow...I noticed which the cottage cheese was missing from the recipe.
- Reggie and I exchanged emails and thanks to Reggie, here is the original posting from 1994 that includes additional modification suggestions from Alekz Traynor.
- I HAVE added cooked fresh mushrooms to this recipe and it is YUMMY!!
- I LOVE THIS LIST!!!
- Thanks Reggie!
- I love this stuff!!
- A little goes a long way and it keeps well in the frig.