Antioxidant Packed Ragout with Pearl Barley
- 1 cup Uncooked Pearl Barley
- 1/2 teaspoons Dried Rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 whole Shallot, Thinly Sliced
- 1 teaspoon Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Button Mushrooms, Sliced
- 1/2 cups Red Wine
- 1 cup Grape Tomatoes, Halved
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Parmesan Cheese, Optional Topping
- Cook pearl barley according to package instructions.
- You may want to use vegetable broth to cook it in, rather than water.
- The choice is yours.
- I used water in my barley preparation for this recipe.
- When barley is finished cooking, season it with the dried rosemary and sea salt and pepper to taste.
- In a pot or skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and shallot.
- Cook for about two minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and mushrooms.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the red wine, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add the grape tomatoes and cook until sauce thickens.
- This took about 5 to 10 minutes for me.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine the pearl barley with the tomato/mushroom ragout and enjoy its comforting and healthy properties!
- The original recipe suggests topping the dish with shaved parmesan, but I completely forgot to add on mine.