(Potatoes with garlic and cheese) Pommes de terre a l'ail
- 5 ounces streaking bacon, thickly cut
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 lbs red potatoes, thinly sliced
- salt and black pepper
- 4 ounces grated gruyere cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- Wipe out a heavy cast iron deep frypan (cocotte) with an oiled paper.
- Cut the bacon into 1/2 inch wide strips, and over a mediium heat cook until crisp and golden coloured, then add the oil and a first layer of potatoes.
- Season well with salt and pepper and cover with a layer of grated cheese.
- Continue filling the dish with alternate layers of seasoned potatoes and cheese until the dish is full.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped garlic and parsley.
- Cover the dish and place over a low heat.
- Cook for 30 minutes shaking the dish occasionally but do not stir the contents.
- When the potatoes are tender when pierced with a pointed knife, pour the cream over the surface, replace the lid and cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve the gratin immediately either in the dish or turned out on to a heated serving dish, crusted side uppermost.