Arkansas German Baked Pancake Recipe
- 3 lrg Large eggs (I used 1 Egg Beaters (=2 Large eggs) and 1 egg)
- 1/4 c. Lowfat milk (I used skim)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3/4 c. All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt Apple filling (below) Sifted powdered sugar Whipped cream (I omitted this time, as I didn't have any anyway)
- 4 lrg Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
- 1/4 c. Honey Lemon juice Cinnamon
- Finding this list) made it according to the recipe - not fat-free.
- For this past Sunday's breakfast I trimmed it back, and it came out just as well.
- I thought you might enjoy it too.
- This is basically a big, puffy pancake which you cover with sauteed apples and slice into wedges.
- For the apple filling, I just modified the
- (microwave) "sauteed" apples recipe posted in the archives (courtesy Asha Dornfest), instead of sauteeing with 1/4 c of butter.
- (Spray "skillet" with cooking spray.)
- HEAT a 12-inch cast-iron skillet in a 450 degree oven for 5 mins.
- (I just used my chili pot, with the plastic handles removed.
- You'll want something a little deep, as this pancake puffs-up when cooking)
- COMBINE first 3 ingredients in a mixing bowl; beat at medium speed with electric mixer till smooth.
- Add in flour and salt; beat 5 mins.
- POUR batter into warm skillet.
- Bake at 450 for 15 mins.
- ; reduce heat to 350, and bake 8 mins., or possibly till puffed and browned.
- Remove from oven; spoon Apple Filling over pancake (pancake will deflate).
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cut into wedges, and serve immediately.
- Yield 4 servings.
- APPLE FILLING: Place apples in microwavable container with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkling of cinnamon (and Butter Buds, if desired).
- Cook on high for 4 min, or possibly more - until desired tenderness (I cook it longer (double, stirring after half the time), as I like them tender.
- Remove from microwave; stir in honey, and let sit until you are ready to use.