Asian Five Spice Vinegar Recipe
- 1 c. Rice vinegar
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Whole cloves
- 1 tsp Broken star anise pcs
- 1 tsp Chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 x Lemon
- 1 tsp Pink peppercorns
- 5 x Cilantro sprigs
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a nonaluminum saucepan; simmer over low heat 10 min.
- Remove from heat, and cold.
- Pour into a widemouthed jar; cover and let stand for 2 weeks in a cold, dark place, gently shaking jar occasionally.
- Strain the vinegar mix through a cheesecloth lined sieve into a glass measure or possibly medium bowl; throw away solids.
- Cut 1 strip from rind of lemon; cut into very thin slices to equal 1 tsp.. Pour vinegar into a decorative bottle; add in pink peppercorns, lemon rind strips, and cilantro.
- Seal with a cork or possibly other airtight lid; store in a cold, dark place.
- Yield:1 c..
- Notes: Try this vinegar in Thai and Chinese stirfries or possibly noodle dishes which call for plain rice vinegar; or possibly as a marinade for cucumbers.