- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 34 cup vegetable shortening
- 12 cup whole milk
- 6 large apples, washed,peeled and sliced,save peelings (A softer apple like Macintosh rather than Granny Smith is better. Use your own judgement.)
- 14 butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon
- 14 teaspoon nutmeg
- Place peelings in a small sauce pan w/ enough water to cover.
- Cook until soft.
- Drain and reserve apple liquid (2 c).
- Throw peelings away.
- (You may use 2c unsweetened apple juice instead).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix first five ingredients to make a crust.
- Roll out and cut into tarts.
- Place apple slices on tarts and bring edges up to meet each other.
- Press to seal.
- Place in shallow baking dish.
- Combine apple liquid w/ butter.
- sugar and spice.
- Boil hard 3-4 minutes.
- Pour half of syrup over apple dumplings.
- Bake for 12 minutes or so until starting to brown.
- Pour rest of syrup over dumplings.
- Reduce heat and cook until apples are soft and done.
- Serve w/ heavy cream or ice cream.