- 2 Apples
- 1 Tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 tsp Flavorful liquor such as brandy, spiced rum, or even good whiskey
- 2 tsp Ginger, minced or grated (optional)
- 3 Eggs
- 1 cup Whole milk (240 ml)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Sugar, whatever type you like (120 ml)
- 1/2 cup Flour (120 ml)
- to taste Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Grease your baking dish with butter.
- Peel the apples and slice into thin wedges.
- Layout in your baking dish.
- (In this case, I halved the recipe and used a smaller tart dish).
- Sprinkle apples with liquor (if using), some brown sugar, and spices such as cinnamon, cardamom and ginger.
- Add a few nuts if you want some crunch in the finished product ;) Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, eggs, sugar, milk, and vanilla until well mixed.
- Don't worry if there are a few small lumps of flour.
- Pour batter over apples.
- Put on center rack of oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until light brown and batter has set.
- The clafouti will puff up like a monster pancake during the baking but it'll deflate to normal size once it cools.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if you like.
- I love to top this with just a bit of yogurt, or anything creamy like creme fraiche :D