African Pearl Barley Pumpkin Pot
- 300 g pearl barley
- 1 kg hokkaido squash (the peel of this squash is edible)
- 700 ml vegetable broth
- 100 ml white wine
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 10 g butter
- 20 g dates (a good handful should do) or 20 g raisins (a good handful should do)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg (grated)
- salt & pepper
- freshly chopped chives, for garnishing
- Clean the hokkaido squash, remove the seeds and cut into dices.
- Dice the onions as well.
- Melt the butter in a heavy pot (cast iron goes best).
- Sweat the onions in it.
- Add the pearl barley.
- After some minutes add the white wine.
- After 2 more mins add the broth.
- Add the squash.
- Chopp garlic and dates and add to the pot together with raisins.
- Add the spices.
- When squash is tender, garnish with chives and serve.