Apple Pie With Oatmeal Cookie Crust Recipe
- 2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. old fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1 x egg white
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 7 lrg tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. apple juice
- 2 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- CRUST: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprau 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, mix flour, oats, 2/3 c. sugar, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- In medium bowl, mix 3/4 c. applesauce, egg white and vanilla.
- Add in applesauce mix to flour mix and stir till well blended- it may be easier to use your hands.
- If mix seems too dry to roll out, stir in up to 1/4 c. more applesauce.
- On lightly floured surface, using lightly floured roling pin, roll out half of oat mix to create 12-inch circle.
- Reserve remaining mix for top of pie.
- If necessary, press dough into pan with your fingers.
- Bake till set, 10 to 13 min.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, combine apples, sugar, 1/2 c. apple juice, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, till apples are tender, 5 - 10 min.
- In c., mix cornstarch and remaining 1/4 c. apple juice.
- Add in to warm apple mix and cook, stirring constantly, till thickened, about 4 min.
- Remove from heat.
- Spoon apple mix into baked crust.
- On well-floured surface, using floured rolling pin, roll out remaining oat mix to create 11-inch circle.
- Pierce with fork.
- Lightly mix in half, place over filling and unfold.
- Fold top edge under; crimp edge.
- Set pie on baking hseet to catch drips.
- Bake till crust is hard, 15 to 20 min.
- Serve hot or possibly chilled.