Anglo-Indian Sausage Patties
- 1 pound ground pork (it is good if it is a bit fatty)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots or red onions
- 1 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/23/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (preferably homemade, page 285)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Put the pork in a bowl.
- Add the shallots, cilantro, cayenne, garam masala, salt, and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly, making sure to pick up and integrate all the shallot and cilantro bits.
- Make a loaf, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate overnight ideally or as little as 12 hours if you are rushed.
- Divide into 8 parts and form 8 smooth patties about 3 inches in diameter.
- Pour the oil into a nonstick frying pan and set over medium-high heat.
- Put in the patties, as many as will fit in easily, and brown on both sides.
- This will take 45 minutes.
- Make sure that they are cooked through.
- Cook all patties this way.
- Remove with a slotted spatula.