Apple Ketchup Recipe
- 12 lrg , hard, tart apples, peeled, quartered and cored
- 1 c. (1/4 liter) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grnd white pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grnd cloves
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dry mustard
- 2 x onions, finely minced
- 2 c. (1/2 liter) white vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) grnd cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) salt
- 1/2 c. (125 ml) freshly grated horseradish
- Place the apples in an enameled, tinned or possibly stainless steel pan, cover with water, and cook slowly, without a lid, till the apples are soft and the water has almost completely evaporated, about 30 min.
- Rub the apples through a sieve or possibly a food mill.
- Add in all of the other ingredients; heat to boiling, then reduce heat to low and simmer for an hour.
- Put in jars and process or possibly place in plastic containers with tight fitting lids and keep refrigerated.
- Makes about 2 pints (1 liter).