Apple Almond Tart With Gingered Streusel Topping
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 12 thin slices peeled ginger
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 3 tablespoons butter (keep remaining butter cool) and 2 tablespoons sugar.
- When mixture starts to darken, add apples and ginger slices, and toss to coat.
- Saute until apples begin to color lightly and juice has cooked down to a sauce, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let cool.
- In an 9-inch round straight-sided nonstick or glass cake pan, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Gently mix ingredients with fingers and make a well in center.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, milk and almond extract.
- Pour oil mixture into well, and mix with a fork just enough to dampen.
- Using your fingertips, pat out dough so it covers bottom of pan and comes up sides about 1/2 inch (pastry should be about 1/8 inch thick).
- Place in refrigerator until needed.
- Make streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and crystallized ginger.
- Cut in remaining 2 tablespoons cold butter.
- Lay apples in a fanned circle in pastry-lined pan.
- Tuck in slices of ginger so they do not burn.
- Pour over any excess juices, and sprinkle streusel over top.
- Bake until slightly browned, about 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.