Apple Spice Pie
- 1 recipe Spiced Pastry
- 6 large baking apples, peeled, cored and quartered (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp (10 mL) water
- 2 tsp (10 mL) coarse sugar
- 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to fit the bottom of a 9-inch (23 cm) pie plate.
- Roll the remaining half into a 1/4-inch (5 cm) thick circle for the top.
- Set aside.
- In work bowl fitted with slicing blade and with the motor running, slice apples.
- Transfer to a bowl filled with enough water to cover apple slices and lemon juice.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, blend together sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until fully incorporated.
- Drain apples and add to sugar mixture.
- Toss to fully coat apple slices.
- Fill bottom crust with apple mixture.
- Drizzle butter over top.
- Place top pastry crust over filling.
- Seal and crimp edges, trimming off any excess dough.
- Using a knife, make several slits in the top of the dough, or use a small cookie cutter to cut a design from the center of the pie for steam to escape.
- Brush top with water and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven until light brown and sugar has caramelized slightly, 40 to 55 minutes.
- Let cool for 1 hour before cutting.