A Touch of Japan: Mitarashi Dango to Make Even when Abroad
- 1 1/2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 4 tbsp Sugar
- 50 ml Water
- 1 tsp plus Katakuriko
- 120 grams Mochiko
- 80 grams Rice flour
- 110 ml Water
- The right is rice flour.
- In Canada, you can buy it at Bulk Barn or health food stores in your area.
- The bag on the right is glutinous rice flour.
- It usually says in Chinese.
- Add all ingredients for the dango into a bowl.
- Add water in small batches and knead until it becomes soft like earlobes.
- Roll the dough into small balls around the same size.
- So cute!
- Add all ingredients for the mitarashi sauce into a microwave safe bowl.
- Mix each time in 30 second increments.
- Repeat until the sauce becomes transparent.
- Boil water in a pot.
- Add the dango from Step 3 and boil.
- It's cooked when the dango floats up to the top, so scoop it up.
- Serve with lots of sauce from Step 4 and enjoy.
- They'll look cute if you roll them on a plate, or if you can place them on a bamboo skewer to imitate store-bought dango.
- I didn't have skewers around this time, so I served them with toothpicks.
- They look adorable presented this way, too.