Apricot Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 cups whipping cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 8 croissants, cubed (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup dried apricots, diced
- Caramel Sauce
- Simmer Grand Marnier and 1/4 cup water in heavy medium saucepan 5 minutes.
- Cool mixture completely.
- Whisk Grand Marnier-water mixture, cream, eggs, sugar, vanilla and nutmeg in large bowl to blend.
- Place croissant pieces in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; add apricots and toss to combine.
- Pour custard over croissant-apricot mixture, pressing down gently with rubber spatula so that croissant and apricot pieces are evenly covered.
- Let stand 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cover baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Place dish in larger roasting pan.
- Add enough hot water to roasting pan to come 1 inch up sides of baking dish.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Remove aluminum foil and continue baking until bread pudding is golden brown on top and firm to touch, about 30 minutes longer.
- Carefully remove bread pudding from oven and from water bath; cool slightly.
- Drizzle bread pudding with Caramel Sauce, if desired, and serve warm.