Ajeen Beckford Caramel Sauce
- 8 ounces sugar
- 2 ounces water
- 34 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- 4 ounces milk
- Combine the sugar, water and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Cook the syrup to the caramel stage.
- Toward the end of cooking, turn the heat to very low to avoid burning the sugar or letting it get too dark.
- It should have a golden colour.
- Occasionally wash down the sides with a brush to dissolve any sugar granules.
- Remove from the heat and let cool five minutes.
- Bring the heavy cream to a boil.
- Add a few ounces of it to the caramel.
- Stir and continue to add the cream slowly.
- Return to the heat until all the caramel is dissolved.
- Let cool completely.
- Stir in the milk into the cooled caramel sauce.