- 220 grams Cake flour
- 140 grams Unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 100 ml Cold water
- 500 grams Jonathan apples
- 50 grams Sugar
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Brandy
- Sift the cake flour into a bowl.
- Chill the butter and place it in the same bowl.
- Cut the butter into the flour.
- The butter should be cut into rough 5 mm cubes.
- Rub the butter with the flour until you get fine pieces of flour coated butter, then add in the salt and sugar.
- Add the cold water and mix without kneading until you can gather the dough into a ball and place it in a plastic bag.
- Press down onto the bag to flatten the pastry down and stretch it.
- Then leave it to rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Thinly peel the skin of the apples, leaving the skin intact in some places and cut the apples into bite-sized pieces or wedges.
- Transfer them to a saucepan and mix with the butter and sugar.
- Cook the mixture down over medium heat until the apples are translucent, then leave to cool.
- While cooling, mix in the cinnamon and brandy.
- Take 2/3 of the pastry and roll it out so that it covers the bottom of the pie dish.
- The pastry should be approx.
- 3 mm thick.
- Place it into the pie dish and let the edges hang over the sides.
- Then use a rolling pin to cut off the excess.
- Prick several holes in the bottom sheet of pastry with a fork.
- Take the rest of the pastry and slice it into 2 cm wide strips to make the border of the pie.
- Then cut the remaining pastry into thinner strips to top the pie with.
- Fill the pie with the apples from Step 7.
- Place the thinner strips of pastry on top of the apples in a lattice pattern.
- Then place the wider strips around the edge of pie to create the border.
- Crimp down the pastry with a fork and brush over an egg glaze.
- Bake the pie in an oven preheated to 180C for 25 minutes until golden brown, then lower the temperature to 170C and bake for a further 10 minutes until the underneath is also browned.
- This pie is delicious either fresh out of the oven or cooled.