- 2 cups masarepa (precooked instant cornmealsee note)
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups canned, frozen, or fresh corn kernels, cooked
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Fire-Roasted Garlic Salsa (page 24)
- Dump the cornmeal into a mixing bowl.
- Set aside.
- Combine the water, sugar, salt, and butter in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour it into the cornmeal and mix well.
- Chop the corn kernels just a bit, and then mix them into the dough.
- Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and flatten each one out with your hands into a 4- to 5-inch disk.
- Lay the disks out on a piece of waxed or parchment paper.
- Slap the sliced mozzarella evenly on top of 6 of them, and cover each with one of the remaining disks to make a sandwich.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a cast-iron skillet set over medium heat.
- Slip a couple of arepas into the pan.
- Cook about 2 minutes, til golden brown.
- Flip and cook about 2 minutes on the other side.
- Flip back to the first side and cook 1 minute longer; then flip one last time and cook the second side til well browned around the edges.
- Let them sit a couple of minutes before cutting each one into 4 wedges.
- Finish cooking and cutting the remaining arepas in the same way, adding more oil to the pan if needed.
- Grab a platter or individual plates, arrange the arepa wedges around a bowl of salsa, and dig in.