Apple Walnut Bread
- 12 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 12 teaspoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped unpeeled tart apple
- 12 cup chopped walnuts
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar.
- add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- beat in buttermilk and vanilla.
- combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- add to creamed mixtures.
- fold in apple and walnuts.
- pour into a greased 8 x 4 inch x 2 inch loaf pan.
- bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.