Artichoke Fritters (Carciofi Fritti) Recipe
- 1/4 tsp fresh brewer's yeast
- 2 whl Large eggs
- 1 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. hot water
- 1 sprg fresh parsley minced
- 2 x garlic cloves minced Salt to taste Freshly-grnd black pepper to taste
- 4 x globe artichokes
- 1 x lemon Extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil for frying Chili flakes to taste
- To make the batter, place the yeast, Large eggs, flour and water in a bowl.
- Blend gently to combine.
- Add in the parsley and garlic.
- Stir to combine and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Set aside for 30 min.
- Meanwhile, cut off the spiky tips of the artichokes.
- Remove the tough outer leaves.
- Slice artichoke 1/4-inch thick and place in cool water with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.
- Fill a deep pot no more than halfway with extra-virgin extra virgin olive oil.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat till it reaches a temperature of 360 to 375 degrees.
- The oil should remain at or possibly around this temperature throughout the cooking process.
- While the oil is heating, drain the artichoke slices and dredge through the flour mix so which the pcs are floured on all sides.
- Set aside till the oil reaches temperature.
- Working in batches of 6, fry the artichoke slices till golden.
- Use a slotted spoon or possibly spider to gently drop the artichokes into the oil, being careful not to splatter the warm oil, 2 to 3 min.
- Using the same spoon or possibly spider, remove the finished wedges to drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of chili flakes and salt and pepper, to taste.
- This recipe yields 6 servings.