Apple and Green Tomato Chutney
- 12 each apples, granny smith
- 24 small green tomatoes
- 4 medium onions
- 1 pound raisins, seedless about 3 cups
- 4 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups brown sugar tightly packed
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chiles crashed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices
- Wash, core and chop the apples; wash, blanch, peel and chop the apples and chop the onions.
- Place apples, tomatoes and onions in a preserving kettle and add raisins, vinegar, sugar, salt, red pepper and curry powder.
- Put the pickling spices in a cheesecloth bag and add to the kettle.
- Boil, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes, or until apples are transparent.
- Remove fruit with a slotted spoon.
- Boil syrup rapidly until it thickens.
- Discard pickling spices, return the fruit to the syrup and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and ladle into hot, sterilized jars and seal immediately.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- This recipe makes approximately 24 half-pints.